Woodstock's solar panels are up and running!.
Woodstock along with several other CT municipalities, received four FREE 9 kW solar panel systems as a part of the Federal and State stimulus grant issued to DCS Energy out of Glastonbury, CT.
There are 6 locations in Woodstock:
- Town Hall (9 kW system)
- Town Highway Garage (9 kW system)
- Elementary School 4-room classroom building (9 kW system)
- Volunteer Fire House on Rte 169 (9 kW system)
- Woodstock Middle School (4 kW system that the Town has earned in their participation with the CT Clean Energy Program)
- Our Latest 1MW Solar Brownfield installation at the capped landfill behind the transfer station.
Each of these 9 kW systems will be comprised of about 40 PV panels which will generate approximately $180 worth of electricity per month per location. This means that the town will save roughly $10,800.00 each year from the electricity generated by these Solar Panel systems.
After 5 years, each recipient will be able to purchase the system for $1 each. Up until then, the only cost to each is liability insurance in case of damage. All parts and components are under a 5-year warranty and replacements are done at no additional costs during that 5-year period. The life expectancy of the panels is 30-35 years.
The 1MW Solar installation will save the town over 2.4 million dollars over the next 20 years.
All installation were installed at no cost to the town or taxpayers.