Phone: (860) 928-6595
Fax: (860) 963-7557
Email: Click on names above to send an email
Click here to learn about YOUR local government
For Election Results - click here.
Woodstock has one polling place at the Woodstock Town Hall. Elections and Primaries are from 6am to 8pm and Referendum votes typically run from 12 noon to 8pm. You can register to vote here at the Town Clerks office during our normal business hours.
Registrar of Voters also hold special voter making sessions.
Click here to see Voter Turnout Statistics since 1991. Very interesting!
Our indexes are now available on-line. Click here to access the Grantor Grantee Index for Woodstock CT.
The Town Clerk's office maintains records pertaining to property transactions in the Town of Woodstock such as deeds, mortgages, liens, maps, condominium documents, easements and certain probate matters.
- Recording fees are $53.00 for the first page of a document and $5.00 for each subsequent page.
- When recording a document with conveyance consideration, an additional $2.00 fee is charged to cover administrative costs for filing the forms with the State of Connecticut Revenue Department. (www.ct.gov/drs)
- The recording fee for a map is $10.00, Subdivisions are $20.00.
- Copies of land records are available for $1.00 per copy.
- There is a $2.00 fee to certify a copy of a document.
- There is a $10.00 fee for hand-held scanner usage.
- All fees and charges are set by State of Connecticut Statutes.
- Pursuant to Connecticut General Statute the owner of each dog over the age of six (6) months must license their dog(s) with the Office of the Town Clerk in the town of residence no later than the 30th of June each year.
- For first time licensing, or if your dog's rabies vaccination has expired, you must include a valid rabies certificate in order to license your dog(s). To obtain the discounted license fee for spayed or neutered animals you must include a copy of the spay/neuter certificate.
- The licensing fee is $19.00 for each unaltered dog or $8.00 for each spayed or neutered dog. There is a $1.00 per month late fee assessed for overdue licenses. Failure to license your dog(s) is punishable by a fine in the amount of $75.00 per dog.
- Licenses may be obtained in person at the Woodstock Town Clerk's office during normal business hours. You may also obtain licenses through the U.S. Postal Service. Please print the Dog License Application and return it with full payment to the Town Clerk, 415 Route 169, Woodstock CT 06281, along with a self-addressed stamped envelope for the return of your dog tags. Checks must be marked payable to "Town of Woodstock". Please complete a separate application for each dog you must license. You may also drop your envelope in the drop box outside of the Town Hall.
- Individuals getting married in Connecticut must obtain their marriage license no more than 65 days before their wedding from the Town Clerk's office in the town where the wedding is to take place.
- Both parties must apply for the license in person.
- The fee for a marriage license is $30.00.
- The fee for a certified copy of a marriage license is $20.00
- Changing your name for land record purposes? Click here for the Change of Name due to marriage form.
- Note: Same sex marriages became legal in Connecticut on November 12, 2008.
- List of Justices of the Peace for Woodstock
Birth Certificates - Birth Certificate Copy Request Form
- Copies of birth certificates are on file in the Town Clerk's office in the town of occurrence, in the Town Clerk's office in the town of residence of the mother at the time of birth, and the State of Connecticut Department of Vital Statistics.
- You may obtain a certified copy from any of these sources.
- The fee is $20.00 per copy.
- All requests for birth certificates must be made in writing. If you are requesting a birth certificate by mail, please include the following:
- Full name and date of birth of individual named on the certificate
- Parents' full names when birth occurred (including mother's maiden name)
- Proof of identification (copy of your current driver's license or any other photo ID)
- If photo ID is not available, copies of two of the following may be used: Social Security card, written verification of identity from employer (on letter head), automobile registration, copy of utility bill showing name and address, pay stub with name on it, checking account deposit slip stating name and address
- Please be sure to include address where the certificate is to be sent, and all requests must be signed.
The Government of Puerto Rico has enacted a new birth certificate law effective July 1, 2010 requiring new, more secure certificates to be issued. For more information or to apply for a new birth certificate go to www.pr.gov.
Death Certificates - Death Certificate Copy Request Form
- Copies of death certificates are on file in the Town Clerk's office where an individual died, the Town Clerk's office where an individual resided before their death, and the State of Connecticut Department of Vital Statistics in Hartford.
- In order to obtain a certified copy of a death certificate, you must provide the name and date of death of the individual
- The fee for certified copies is $20.00
- The fee for a Burial Record is $3.00 per copy
Genealogy Research & General History of Woodstock
- Please see our hours above that we are open to the public.
- We have vital records back to 1686
- Land Records back to 1749 (Prior to 1749 go to Worcester County Massachusetts Registry of Deeds)
- Probate Records back to 1831
- Woodstock Gazette - Weekly newspaper published between 1905 and 1917 (All issues)
Sporting Licenses - Ct Department of Environmental Protection
- Sporting licenses are issued for a calendar year. For current licensing fees click here.
- No hunting or trapping license will be issued to any person unless proof is provided that they held a resident license within the last five years, a certificate indicating successful completion of a Connecticut Conservation Education/Firearms Course or certificate showing completion of equivalent state course.
- Licenses may now be purchased online directly from the Department of Environmental Protection.
- Any veteran may file their discharge papers with the Town Clerk's office free of charge. Original DD214's or certified copies of DD214's are acceptable. Click here for downloadable forms to request a replacement DD-214. Click here for next of kin to request a copy of a DD-214.
- After filing their DD214, any veteran who served in the military during a time of war as defined in Connecticut General Statute may apply for a property tax exemption on their home or automobile in the Assessor's office.
Absentee Ballots - Voter Registration
- General Voting Information
- Register to Vote On-Line or change information on your voter registration
- Absentee Ballot Application
- Permanent Absentee Ballot Information (New)
- Voter Registration Form (downloadable)
- State of Connecticut Statute Section 35-1(a) requires any person doing business in Connecticut, except as provided by statute, under any name other than name of the person or persons conducting or transacting such business, must register a trade name certificate with the Town Clerk's office in the town where the business is or is to be conducted or transacted.
- Trade Name certificates are available by clicking here
- The fee for filing a Trade Name Certificate is $5.00
Other Duties - Fees
- Liquor License Filing Fee - $2.00
- Filing of Notary Commission - $10.00 (renewable every 5 years) We also provide Notary Services. Fees are as follows: Resident, per visit, first seal is free, after that $2.00 per seal. Non-Residents, per visit, are $2.00 per seal.
- Transfer Station Permit Fees
- Foreclosure Registration Requirements
The Booklet "Know Your Town Government" contains useful information on elected and appointed officials and boards, policies and procedures, general meeting schedules, filing requirements, and Freedom of Information. Click on the link above, or see the Forms tab to download a copy.
You can also see the Connecticut Town Clerk's Association website.
See sidebar "additional links" for additional resources.